First posted on 12th July 2011
Thanks to Evelyn Inglis for pointing out the connection between the Inglis family and the Aitkens. Robert Inglis bought the plot of land in which no 4 was built in 1862, although he sold it without building on it. His mother was Grace McClelland, from Orchardton in Wigtownshire. Evelyn confirmed that Grace was the sister of Thomas McClelland, and so the aunt of Elizabeth McClelland. Elizabeth was the wife of Alexander Aitken who rented no 2 in 1864 and 1865. From there the family moved to Chalmers Crescent, and in 1871 Elizabeth was visiting her Inglis cousins in Dick Place at the time of the census.